2.14.2009

I slept in today :)

A big shout out to Mr. Lincoln and all our former (and current!) presidents for the two glorious days of rest that have been given to us all!

And so the updates begin...

Cooperating Teacher: I went into the experience knowing close to nothing about her. With this in mind, I tried to have as few expectations as possible. Thankfully, she is phenomenal. Teaching is her second career so she did her own student teaching just three years ago. She's kind, sweet-natured, incredibly caring, and insightful. She treats me like a person, not just a professional (a novice one at that), which I appreciate.

Farnsworth: The school is...interesting. The principle, although a bit elderly, is incredibly structured and firm. She refuses to turn down any student, regardless of ability level; therefore, the school has some solid services for students with special needs. As is expected, the building in a bit run-down, the technology is limited, and teacher morale is a not as high as I've seen in other schools; however, the kids are cared for, visitors are made to feel immensely welcome, and the core group of teachers that I work with are great.

Students: Aaah, the students :) 34 of the little ones in all: 12 English Language Learners (6 Hispanic, 1 Polish, 1 Philippian, 2 Middle Eastern, and 2 Asian). 6 of the students are Caucasian, 1 is African American, and the rest are Hispanic (English-speaking) or Multi-Racial. We also have a little one who is Visually Impaired. Reading levels range from 200 words per minute to 10. They're wonderful :) A wonderful challenge, but wonderful nonetheless.

In General: I'm feeling pretty good. My energy is up (so far!). I actually enjoy my commute (so long as I'm able to catch my first bus). The roommates are great. The students are great. My cooperating teacher is flexible and supportive. My ideas are a'flowin and I'm excited to go to school every day. I'm still nervous, perhaps a bit frightened, terrified maybe...but it's all coming out of my desire to do all I can for those kids.

I miss everyone very, very, very, very, very much. Very much. :)

4 comments:

Melanie Eccles said...

Betsy! This is so great to hear! I have been thinking about you alot lately as always. :)

Love you!

Britt said...

I'm absolutely excited to hear how wonderful this experience is for you! I feel like you could be in one of those teachter movies.

Ang said...

hey! i am glad you are having a great experience!!

Anonymous said...

Student Teaching is an amazing experience and it goes by so quickly. Enjoy it while you can and give it your all.

I'm sure you are already doing a great job :)